Morpeth School 2017

Alexander Edwards, Shihron Efran Ali and Shah Ishaq

Walking Hadrian’s Wall

Whilst planning our expedition in advance, we stumbled upon some obstacles that hindered our progress and caused a bit of stress. We didn’t think the initial planning would of have been as hard as the challenge itself. Once we arrived at Carlisle, getting to the first campsite was the easiest part; arriving with joy we quickly set up our tent and had plenty of rest before we had to head out for the next day. Starting the hike was easy enough as we followed the map and had an eye out for the signs; however the constant rain hindered our progress and brought down our morale heavily. This however didn’t stop us and we powered through arriving at the next campsite at the end of the day. The next day, we set out early to avoid the awful weather we were about to experience. We consistently hiked at a steady pace, only stopping for little breaks along the way and paying our respects to the honesty boxes along the way. The following day, the weather turned dramatically, providing us with a punishing heat throughout our 8 hour hike, giving us an opportunity to adapt to the fluctuating weather up north. This weather continued for the following day making our journey demanding, as we were bogged down with the humidity and the hike was starting to get to us. The following day, the weather didn’t affect us but rather a smouldering fire slowed us down as we tried to put it out with our water reserve. Straight after, we lost our directions and had to make several turns to get us on the path. Due to this confusion, we had our first and only argument in the history of our friendship (the three of us have been friends for more than a decade). The next day was our biggest challenge yet, hiking in very mountainous areas proved to be a struggle for all us, reaching very high altitudes which dampened our morale significantly. However, reaching the top was very satisfying as the view we experienced was nothing we’ve ever seen; the vast greenery was stunning which left us amazed as we grew up in the city for all our lives. Returning back went by a breeze, giving us time to reflect upon our journey and the skills we’ve learnt; including assessing risks along our hike including the little fire and the descent of the hills. We’ve also learnt how to adapt alongside the obstacles we’ve faced while keeping track of the time and direction to ensure we weren’t late for any of our campsites. But the biggest thing we’ve learnt was to be able to boost morale in each other during copious amount of hiking and being there for each other, knowing that we’ve accomplished something only a few people were able to do. We would like to thank the Mark Evison Foundation for allowing us to undergo a life changing experience.